Prior to 1937 Billericay was part of the parish of great Burstead within the Rural District of Billericay, an area which covered Mountnessing, South Weald, Wickford and North Benfleet. In 1937 all the Parishes within the Rural District Council were abolished and the whole area was the administered by Billericay Urban District Council. In 1955 this Council changed its name to Basildon Urban District Council.
After the Local Government Boundary Commission Review published in 1995 which recommended that Billericay should be moved to Brentwood District local residents were annoyed when this did not go ahead. This lead to a number of residents forming a Steering Committee to campaign for a Parish Council for Billericay as well as other groups wanting parishes for their areas.
The Basildon Parishes Order 1996 resulted in the creation of the new parishes of Billericay, Great Burstead and South Green, Little Burstead, Ramsden Crays and Ramsden Bellhouse in 1997. Thus Billericay Parish Council came into being in May 1997. At the first meeting on 2nd June 1997the Council elected to style itself as Billericay Town Council.
Subsequently three more parishes have been formed in Basildon, Noak Bridge, Shotgate and Bowers Gifford & North Benfleet.