History

Originally the site had an old barn on it. It was surrounded by farmland and other barns behind the Chequers. Probably in the early 1950s (but may have been earlier) two bungalows were built on the site of the barn. The upper bungalow was demolished to make way for the Senior Citizen's Day Centre in the early 1970s and the lower bungalow, Uplands Cottage, was demolished a few years ago to make way for five houses.

The Day Centre was rectangular and of modular timber framework construction and had a brick built extension added sometime in the 1970s which added a small hairdressing salon. By the turn of the century the building had become rather dilapidated and there was a proposal to sell and demolish, but protests and a change of mind by Basildon Council saw a refurbishment which has carried the building through to today.

Billericay Town Council took on responsibility for what was the Billericay Day Centre from Basildon Borough Council in 2016 on a 99-year lease with a peppercorn rent.

The Town Council knew there was a strong demand for additional facilities in Billericay available for hire for a wide range of activities and had seen demand rise since taking on the Day Centre. Past users of the original hall had come from very diverse groups including community groups like the Good Companions Club and charities such as BOSP (Brighter Opportunities through Supported Play) as well as commercial hirers like the NHS Pulmonary clinic.

During the first two weeks of August 2018 the Town Council held a consultation asking for residents views on whether or not Billericay would benefit from a large modern community facility. A large number of comments were received and there was significant support for a building that could provide facilities for both local community and charity groups.

Site of old Day Centre Barn 1950

 
Picture of old Day Centre 1972

 
Opening ceremony of old Day Centre 1972